Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Facebook Free for Forty Days!!!

Being true to my Catholic upbringing, I thought long and hard about what I should give up for Lent.

Ok...so that's a lie...it actually took me no time at all to decide what I needed to give up which I have to say is really embarrassing. When I found myself checking my Facebook account every 5 minutes on days that I was working out of the house OR checking it on my phone when I was in a school...I knew it was getting out of hand. How ridiculous is that?

So while some are giving up sweets, coffee, cokes (all of which I have done before)...I will be giving up Facebook. I've already started thinking of how I'll spend my time sans Facebook...

Made these as a follow up to a shower gift for friends' Beth and Matt's baby who was born just a couple weeks ago...


I had to knit them 'in the round' which is a pain...


...but when I finished, I wrapped them up with some green and brown ribbon left over from the shower and threw in a couple white onesies I had left over from another project...I certainly don't need them!


I hope they are helping little Walter Lewis Maleski keep warm in all this cold weather!

Which reminds me...can you guess where this picture was taken last Friday?

You might be able to tell from the Palmetto Tree on the left...

That's King Street in CHARLESTON and yes, friends that's accumulating SNOW!

I spent the weekend in Charleston at the Southeastern Wildlife Expo last weekend. The weather guys were calling for 3-5 inches of snow in Charleston to which I completely dismissed. In my 8 years of living in Charleston, I never saw a flake. So it completely blew my mind when I was walking down King Street on my way to dinner watching big, fluffy snowflakes fall from the sky! It was really cool, I have to say!

The Wildlife Expo is one of my favorite weekends in Charleston. I always work it...I sell beer all weekend...yes, you can laugh. It's funny, I know. But it's crazy money that I can't pass up so I'm going on 8 years working the Expo.

Colin entered his dog, Campbell, in the Dock Dog competition and she won 4th place! Look how proud she is of her ribbon!


Next year, I'm going to bring Sierra and enter her in the competition and try to give Campbell a run for her money...


...then again, maybe not.

So, other than knitting (which yes, I realize makes me sound like the 82 year old cat lady down the street, but whatever...) and taking trips down to Charleston, how else am I going to fill my time away from Facebook?

Just to show you that I'm NOT turning into the 82 year old cat lady from down the street...I'm planning on keeping up with my gym routine so that in 40 days, I'll look like this...


Hopefully, I'll have more time to read. I'm reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for Book Club...a group that I started by the way and have yet to finish a book that we have read.
I'm also hoping to spend a lot of time with these two books...

I'm starting a new Bible Study tonight and I'm looking forward to it. We're studying Beth Moore's new book, Breaking Free. I hope I enjoy it as much as the other ones she's done!

And while knitting, working out, and trips to Charleston will definitely occupy my time during the next 40 days, I think I'm most looking forward to spending more time in the Word and working on strengthening my relationship with the Lord. Because I think that's really what Lent is supposed to be about....giving up something worldly so that we can learn about something more Godly.





2 comments:

The Rays said...

i saw your fb status about giving it up and i almost commented that you should give up blogging- but wait, you don't ever blog anyway! ha! thanks for proving me wrong!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe we missed the Charleston snow. :( Have you finished Midnight in the Garden? I read it recently and loved it. Charleston gets a few mentions in it too. I'm still finishing that Left Behind series and trying to finish Having a Mary Heart. By the way you are totally inspiring me to take up knitting!