Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ah...Summer!

I have to say...summer is my favorite season! Even though when the air turns cool in October and the leaves change and I think Fall might be my favorite...or when the flowers start to bloom and everything turns green and I think Spring might just be the best time of year (I don't care what you say...I'll never like Winter)...then summer rolls in with the 95 degree heat and 100% humidity and I'm reminded of what it means to truly be from the south. We don't just tolerate the heat and humidity...we live it. We don't hide from it...in fact, we intentionally plan our days outside, right in the middle of it. This past weekend was the perfect summer weekend...


I spent most of Saturday out by the pool which is practically in my back yard!

Sunday I spent out on the lake with good Greenville friends and forgot to take pictures but CLICK HERE for a synopsis of the last lake trip I took with these friends and you'll pretty much get the gist of the day...sans Sierra!



I spent the better part of Monday and Tuesday filling planters with pretty plants that hopefully will make it through the summer alive!

For some reason, I think a chair is one of the best spots for a plant...


And then last night, as I was walking up the steps to my deck after turning Sierra out for the final time, I smelled something that always reminds me of summer...so I clipped a few, threw them in a bud vase and sat them on my bedside table...just like my mom used to do when I was growing up.

Is there any better smelling flower than a Gardenia?

2 comments:

The Rays said...

ooooh gardenias!! my grandmother used to do the same thing. when i lived in Nashville she would cut some during the summer to send them home with me. my favorite!! looking forward to july!

Jennifer Taylor said...

From one Southerner to another--Yes, we live it!