Monday, June 2, 2008

How Old Am I?

Whew! What a weekend! Beach season has officially begun! And while the crappy housing market is definitely affecting the impending sale of MY house (no showings in May...just reduced the price...boo!), that only means that I have more beach days in my future. I admit I'm spoiled. As I was sitting out on the beach on Saturday AND Sunday, I thought to myself, "What do people do on the weekends who don't live at the beach?" In the 8 years I've lived in Charleston, I've forgotten what else there is to do on a spring/summer weekend. Starting around Memorial Day every year, my beach bag and chair are permanent passengers in my car and the sand that I sweep/vacuum up in my house and car is as normal to me as the dog hair that Sierra sheds every move she makes. What will I do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon when I move to Greenville? It's weekends like this past one that I wonder...Am I crazy? Why would I move away from this? But I know I can't stay in a place simply because I absolutely LOVE the 3 months out of the year that I spend every chance I get on the beach. So maybe I'll just have to take up hiking? What else do mountain people do? Hmmm...


Along with beach days in Charleston and glorious (though HOT) weather, comes any excuse to hang out outside and have a few drinks with friends. Which brings me to Saturday night. After spending a day out on Sullivans with friends, my friends Nick and Craig threw a "Stock the Tiki Bar Party" at Nick's house. Which is the reason for the title of this blog. How long can I keep up these shenanigans? What do you get when you gather a bunch of 30 (& almost 30) somethings around a Tiki Bar (purchased off of Ebay, no doubt!) with 2 blenders and a cooler full of frozen mixers and liquor? You get a bunch of 30 (& almost 30) somethings who forget how old they are until the next morning when they wake up with the world's worst headache. Here are just a few pictures that I took. I wish I had more. It was a fun night. We played Survivor Flip Cup and I was the lone survivor for the girls...had to go up against 2 boys all by myself! No pictures of that though!






I tried to end the weekend with a relaxing Sunday on the beach...well, as soon as I walked out on Folly Beach at our usual 10th street hangout, I saw a group of friends who had the same idea. I should have known better...on any given Saturday or Sunday I can find someone I know at 10th street! Colin and Virginia ended up walking down from where they were hanging out and let all us know about the Reggae band that was playing at the new beach bar down the street. So after a couple hours on the beach with the boys and a game of horseshoes, we all headed down to Conch to listen to some Reggae and drink more frozen drinks. No headache for me this morning though. :)

So it's another Monday...working out of the house. I would have thought that Sierra wouldn't know what to do with herself since she didn't have to be in her crate all day long. However, that seems to be the place she spends most of her time. Her crate is in my office. When I turned around the other day to check on her, this is how she was sleeping. Crazy dog!



I've also noticed that she has come to love sitting on the porch in one spot. Now, she does NOT like to be shut out of the house. In fact, if I close the door behind her she'll spaz out and bark and drive the neighbors crazy until I open it. As long as she has access in and out of the house, she's fine. So, while it's not too hot outside, I've been leaving the back door open so she can go in and out on her own. Occasionally, I won't hear her running around which, just like when a small child is off of their own and things get quiet, is cause for me to go searching for her. When I went out onto the porch the other day, this is what I saw. The back corner behind the chair has become her favorite place to sit and watch the birds and other dogs that are in their respective yards in the neighborhood. She will sit there forever and just watch. Too funny!



No comments: