Friday, June 13, 2008

Math Girls Weekend '08

Last weekend was the 8th Annual Math Girls Weekend in Atlanta, Ga. Jennie Ray, Katherine Hart, Christen Coleman and I all went to Auburn together and majored in Math Education. I remember when I got to know Jennie my freshman year at Auburn. We were at the library completing study hours for Chi O. Jennie was studying her Calculus book and I asked her what she was majoring in. When she said Math Ed., I told her that was what I wanted to do as well (I was undeclared until Spring quarter). I remember that she got excited and said, "Oh! You should!" In fact, I think that's what helped me make my decision to go ahead and declare a major. (And you thought it was my passion to influence young minds. Ha!)

So when I took my first methods class in good ol' Haley Center, which would be my home away from dorm for the next 3 years, I met Katherine and Christen as well and the Math Girls group was formed. Being the math nerds that we were, we were also in the same math classes all through college together. We would study long hours for math exams, ed psych tests, etc. and soon realized our common love for the Dr. Pepper that we would all bring to cram sessions to stay awake...most of which were led by Katherine because she was the true math genius of the group. Our study sessions eventually turned into occasional game nights, bible studies and just good girl time. So when it came time to graduate, we were definitely NOT ready to leave all the fun behind. Since I was moving to Charleston, Jennie to Charlotte with her hubbie, and Katherine and Christen to Alabama, Atlanta seemed to be the most central place to meet. And what else can 4 girls do in HOT-Lanta but shop, shop, shop! And so the tradition began. Now after 3 masters degrees, 2 marriages, 4 (soon to be 5) babies, several moves, job changes (in and out of education), we just celebrated our 8th Math Girls Weekend. We had so much fun! Look at all of those clothes!

I don't know whether it's our math minds or whether we've just been doing it for so long, but our weekend plans always follow the same routine...they never change! On Friday we all arrive at the hotel (which Katherine always finds for us) and talk, talk, talk. I'm usually the last to arrive because I have the longest drive (not for long!). We then head to California Pizza Kitchen and Jennie normally drives (when shes not 8 months pregnant like she was this year) because she is a human GPS! Then it's off to a movie...if we're lucky, a chick flick. Back at the hotel, we drink Dr. Pepper that Katherine brings, eat something yummy that either Katherine or Jennie bring (being the mommies of the group) and catch up on our entertainment news through the quality literature we all bring like People, US Weekly, InStyle, etc. Saturday morning we wake up, get showered and dressed and hit the mall. Over the years we've decided that Perimeter Mall is our favorite so we spend all day there shopping. We all have specific places we have to go...my request is always Anthropologie. When we leave the mall, our arms heavy and our wallets light, we pile our bags in the car and usually take pictures of the huge mound of bags in the trunk of the car. When we get back to the hotel, we spread our clothes out on our respective beds (Christen and I always share a bed while Katherine and Jennie share the other...always) so we can stand in awe of how much we spent. We then usually add up our receipts and declare a winner of the weekend (whoever spent the most). Last year it was me! This year however Christen claimed the title! :) After we get over the sick feeling of how much we spent in one day, we get dressed up in some of our new clothes and head the the Cheescake Factory! And yes, we usually order the same things each year. After dinner, we head back to the hotel where we stay up and talk. And then Sunday morning, we get up, pack our things and head home to friends, husbands, babies and doggies! And then we start planning for our next weekend! It's a great tradition that we all look forward to every year!





Since my blog is titled "On the Move," you might be wondering how "on the move" I actually am. Well, I'm happy to let everyone know, it's looking like I'll be in the Greenville area in August! After no showings in May (ahhh!) I decided to put my house up for rent this past Tuesday. By Wednesday afternoon I had 5 emails in my inbox all from interested renters. I think the girls who came by to look at it this week will sign a lease next week! Yay!

Before I go, I have to brag a little on how cute Sara Beth Kahn (my goddaughter) is! Paige took Sara Beth to a photographer in Montgomery and had some pictures taken of her. She's 8 months old now and Paige says that they are having so much fun with her at this age. Anyway, evidently the photographer posted a picture of Sara Beth on her blog. Check it out! She's the baby in the first picture. Look at those eyes! http://gracephotography.typepad.com/

2 comments:

The Rays said...

Man we're a cute group of girls!! I was going to do a whole post on this but I think you did such a good job that I will just link to yours. I had no idea that I had such a big part in determining your future. I feel so honored :) Already hoping for our trip next year. Is Sara Beth the baby in that main picture?? She's a cutie!! Miss you.

Anonymous said...

I am going to send friends to your blog to read all about the weekend. Most of my friends are envious of our commitment and dedication to this trip. I am a little shocked that all of us have maintained it as a priority - such a fun time! It is one of my favorite weekends of the entire year and I look forward to many more. Congrats on renting out your house - feels good to get that taken care of.
Miss you. - Christen