Sunday, March 1, 2009

Braving Mega-Winter Storm 2009!!

This might turn out to be a long post since I haven't posted anything for a while! I don't know how some of you do it...keep up with a blog, that is! I'm amazed when I read blogs of girls who have 3 or 4 kids...how do you find the time?

Anyways...today, it started off looking like this...
I turned on the Weather Channel, and they were calling it "Mega-Winter Storm 2009". Seriously. Supposedly, we're supposed to get 2"-4" of snow! Every time snow has been in the forecast up here, it's just turned out to be a cold, rainy mess. Even if I didn't see any of the white stuff, it was enough to keep me inside for the day and since I cleaned yesterday...
...I needed something to do, so I pulled out this book......and looked up this recipe...
...and started baking!

I've made these cookies before but I wanted to try them again to see if they would turn out better this time. I prepared all the ingredients ahead of time.
I picked up this trick from my mom. I noticed one time when she was making dinner that she prepared everything ahead of time...chopped herbs, measured salt, etc. and set it aside on a plate in small containers. I tried it while I was making the cookies and it really worked well!
So, thanks to my Kitchen Aid Mixer...
...and some really nice cookie sheets I got for Christmas...
...I now have a batch of Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies to completely counteract any effort I might make this week to stay in shape! :)

While the cookies were in the oven, I wasn't ready to leave the kitchen so I figured, "What the heck?"...why not make marshmallows?My dad gave me this mix for Christmas and I thought that we'd probably have a fire going this week and it might be fun to roast marshmallows! It was pretty easy...we'll see tomorrow how they taste...they have to sit overnight.


My urge to bake left me with a mess in the kitchen...after I had just spent the day yesterday cleaning it!

And I guess the weather guys actually know what they're talking about this time...I just looked out the window and look what I saw...

Looks like this little one might have fun playing in the snow tomorrow...
This was what she did the entire time I was baking today...always underfoot she is!

By the way...have you seen last months Southern Living? The one with the yummy Nutter Butter Banana Pudding on the cover? While I was standing in line at the grocery one day, I quickly grabbed it and threw it in my basket! What could be better than bananas and Nutter Butters? Not much! I was excited when friends, Meredith and Matt, had a cookout so I had an excuse to make it.When you do make it (because how could you not?), the recipe says to let it chill from 2 to 24 hours...I suggest letting it chill as long as you can. The longer it chills, the softer the cookies get...they almost become part of the pudding! It's so good!

Well, if you have read this far...GOOD FOR YOU! I'm impressed! I'll just post a few more pictures to let you know what I've been up to for the past few weeks! Hiking, more stationery, obviously not blogging! I'll try to be better!A card I made for friends who just found out they are having a baby!

The rest are from a hike Sierra and I took at Table Rock one day when it was much warmer...only a couple weeks ago!
Where's Waldo?? Can you see Sierra in this picture? Sierra is really good on hikes. I can keep her off the leash most of the time and she'll run about 20 or 30 feet ahead of me and then run back to make sure I'm still behind her! Whenever she sees other people approaching, she turns around and runs back to me so I can put her on the leash!



No comments: