Tuesday, August 19, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!

This post is dedicated to my wonderful mother who turns...well, another year older, we'll say...today! And in honor of her birthday, I thought I'd follow in the footsteps of David Letterman and do my own Top 10.





Top 10 Reasons Why My Mom is Cool




1.) She's hilarious...if you need proof, look at the picture above.

2.) Every one of my friends says so. (Seriously, ask them.)

3.) She never takes herself too seriously.

4.) She has great taste in clothes. (And gets me great deals from Worth!)

5.) She's a great cook!

6.) She loves books and never tired of trying to pass the same interest on to us kids. We eventually caught on.

7.) She was an awesome teacher which I know is why I was determined to go into education.

8.) She has a HUGE heart as evidenced by every waking minute she ever had free was dedicated either to her kids or volunteer work.

9.) She's an incredible listener. (She doesn't even screen my calls!)


10.) She loves my dad.


Ok, so I have a dilemma. When I left my house in the hands of Danielle and Shelby, I also left them responsible for my lawn. I have been responsible for lawn maintainance in previous places I've rented so I knew this was reasonable and the girls were on board. I even gave them the name of the guys I've used for the past year who have done an excellent job of turning my weeds into actual grass! Well, Danielle called me last week to tell me that they weren't able to get in touch with my guys and asked one of Shelby's friends to mow the lawn. Danielle was concerned because 1.) he overcharged them big time, and 2.) he didn't do all that good of a job. When I talked to Shelby, she couldn't tell me what more he had done besides just mowing the lawn. I explained to both girls that it was important that whoever did the lawn mowed, edged, and weeded or else I was concerned the weeds would come back. Coincidentally, my yard guy called me the same day Danielle did and I realized he had a different number than the one I had given the girls earlier so it was an honest mix up. I told both Danielle and Shelby that since these guys have been working on my yard for the past year, and I know they do a good job, I would prefer that they continue to work on the yard. My dilemma is this...I'm starting to feel bad that I am having them pay $35 every 2 weeks for lawn guys that I requested.

What do y'all think? I seriously want to know other opinions! Leave a comment! Should I pay for the lawn care myself if I'm going to be picky about who they use? If the guy that overcharged them had done a good job, I would have been okay with letting him do the lawn but I got nervous because it didn't sound like he had done a very good job!









2 comments:

The Columbia Fam said...

$35 every two weeks? that is a steal! Hell, I used to charge $70 every two weeks to mow, edge, and blow. Make them dish out the $35 for your guy.

Unknown said...

$35 doesn't seem like too much to me, but Jeff and I have never had to take care of the lawn in our rentals. Right now we don't have a lawn - ha! Anyway, when we lived in Atlanta, our lady payed for her guy to do the lawn. When we said that we liked doing yard stuff and didn't mind doing it, she took money off of our rent each month. Don't know if this helps. Were you able to solve the situation?