Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Something to Think About...


I've been reading "The Shack" by William Young lately. I'd recommend it to anyone who struggles with the question of why God lets bad things happen. There was a quote that I wrote down the other day after I read it that I keep thinking about:

"...humans are not defined by their limitations, but by the intentions that I (God) have for them"
How often do we focus on the limitations of ourselves and others? I think of myself as a single girl in her 30's before I think of anything else. Not to say that being single is always a limitation but a lot of people view it that way. And those who view it as a limitation and are burdened because of it are missing what God has intended for them. I am not defined by my singleness but by who I am and who God wants me to be...a teacher, a daughter, a friend, a sister, etc.

How often does society define others by their limitations? Kids with disabilities are often defined by their disability rather than who they are. Emily once told me while we were at Auburn that we should always consider "the child before the disability." In other words, rather than saying "the down syndrome student" we should say "the student with down syndrome."

Even political candidates are defined by their limitations (i.e. McCain-old, Palin-inexperienced) when really we should define them by who they are and what they have to offer.

I've been thinking about this quote for the past few days and thought I'd share. I hope it sticks with you for a while as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so well-spoken. You gave me something to think about. Thank you. I definitely have me wanting to read the book. What a thoughtful post, Meg.

Anonymous said...

I meant, "YOU definitely ..."