Monday, October 6, 2008

Girls Weekend!

This weekend my friends Jenn and Erin came to visit me in Greenville! They both got here around lunch time on Saturday so we went straight downtown and grabbed a bite to eat at Paris Cafe on Main Street. Mom and I went there a couple weeks ago for lunch...it's a great spot to grab a good sandwich and salad and sit outside to enjoy the fresh air! I then took them up and down Main Street to look at all the cute shops. Jenn took advantage of a baby free weekend and started her Christmas shopping! On Sunday, we went with Angie and Tres and family to the SkyTop Apple Orchard in Flat Rock, NC! It was an adventure!

The more people I know who have children, the more in awe of parenthood I am! We drove up to Angie and Tres' house to see a Suburban and a Mini Van packed full of strollers, snacks, car seats, and oh...babies. They had friends in from Charlotte who had 2 kids so there was twice as much stuff to haul up to the mountains. The drive up to the orchard was absolutely gorgeous! The fall colors have started to appear so it is really cool driving into the mountains! I can't believe I'm this close to them! Once we got up to the orchard, we met Jason and Caryn and their new baby, Charley. Tres and friend, Chad, got a dozen apple donuts which were better than they should have been! Oh my gosh! They were like an apple version of a funnel cake you get at the fair...but better.

You should have seen the whole clan walking through the orchard. The kids were hysterical! One little girl, Peyton, kept picking the apples, biting into them and then throwing them down on the ground. I'm sure the people walking through after us must have seen a couple dozen apples with teeth marks in them on the ground and wondered what strange animal was lurking around the orchard biting into apples but not eating them. It was a great place for the kids to run around and it was fun for the adults too! I thought it was pretty cool being able to just pick an apple off the tree and eat it right there!

We then stopped off in Hendersonville to get lunch at a Mexican restaurant afterwards. You should of seen the poor girls face at the door when Jason told her that we had 15 people with us, "and 6 of them are kids!" They survived and the place is still standing so all in all, it was a great day.

When we got back, the girls left and I went straight to my room to read the last 9 pages of The Other Boleyn Girl, which I've been reading for the past 6 weeks almost and could not put down! This was the longest book I've ever read--I LOVE to read but am a slow reader so this was a pretty big deal for me! I couldn't wait to rent the movie so I went straight to Blockbuster. I sat down with a glass of wine and the homemade applesauce I made with the apples I picked (I know...doesn't sound like a very appetizing combination, but I was full from the Mexican food). From the first 5 minutes of the movie, I was disappointed! They changed the whole thing!!! I hate when Hollywood does that! I get so wrapped up in the book and involved with the characters and the story line! I actually get sad when I finish a book! So I get really excited when to watch the movie because I feel like it's a way for the story to keep going. It just wasn't the same.

It was a great weekend overall...and of course, I forgot my camera everywhere we went! Hopefully Erin will send me the 2 pictures she had room for on her camera that we took at the orchard on Sunday and I'll post those soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had so much fun too! We definitely should have another girls weekend again soon. By the way, don't say I didn't warn you about the movie! :)

CMS said...

Meg,

I could not agree more about "The Other Boleyn Girl"! My book club read it this past February. I agree that it felt like one of the longest reads of my life but I loved all of the detail so much that I didn't mind. When we went to see the movie however we were severely disapointed. So you definitely were not alone!

Also, after I saw you in July we read "My Sister's Keeper". You were so right about Jody Picoult books! I was literally sobbing -- on the airplane-- as I read the last 30 pages. I think the guy sitting next to me was having an anxiety attack trying to figure out how to help me.

We're reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" right now. I'm not sure if you've picked this one up yet but I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good read.

Loving your blog-- thanks for keeping it up and letting us peek into your world.

Love- Cassie

P.S.- I absolutely believe that Sierra has super powers.